2 class levels available – Beginner & Intermediate
If you have always wanted to learn how to play the harmonium, this is your opportunity!
Prema Sankirtan Das, an amazing musician who is a regular at many kirtan events both in the UK and internationally, will take you through your paces over 13 weeks, teaching you the basic rhythms and ragas used in kirtan so that you can gain both competence and confidence in playing.
The 13-week course will cover:
- Rhythm and Rhythmic cycles
- Finding your vocal style and rhythm
- Description of and playing the harmonium
- Understanding traditional and western musical styles
- Various positions of ‘Sa’, and playing the basic scale
- An explanation of the notation used for musical selections, and much more
- Practical singing and playing, of course!
To allow quality time with each student, there are a limited number of spaces on the course, so please book as soon as you can to avoid disappointment.
Each student will be expected to bring their own harmonium, take the sessions seriously and practice outside of the sessions too. The class is suitable for ages 10 onwards.
Through theory and practical application from the basic to an advanced level, you’ll get an understanding of the complete science of music. One key course-book we will be using is “A Vaisnava Harmonium & Singing Method” by Ramanujacharya Das.
By the end of the course, the student will be able to fully understand music and thus become a vocalist, songwriter, musician, composer, arranger and producer through the ragas.